Rustic Chicken Cooking Recipes
This slow cooker is one of the best chicken recipes I’ve perfected over the years. I could climb mountains for this chicken. People always ask for a second and there are leftovers.
- 6 chicken legs (with skin, without bone or without bone)
- 2 small yellow onions (cut in half and sliced about 1/4 inch thick)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced or minced)
- ginger root (about 1 1/2 inches, peeled and chopped or minced)
- 1 C. Tea sea salt or kosher (more to taste)
- 1/2 c. Ground black pepper
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of olive or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter (unsalted)
- Fresh herbs for garnish (optional but highly recommended)
- Blot the chicken with paper towels to remove the surface moisture. Sprinkle with salt on each side and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil and a tablespoon of butter in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the chicken, skin down, and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, until golden. Remove from the pan and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the onions, garlic and ginger in the same pan. There should be plenty of oil and fat in the pan, but if it does not, add another tablespoon of oil or butter. Sauté vegetables until golden brown, stirring constantly, about 3 to 5 minutes (see note).
- Add water, salt and pepper to the pan. Mix well and enjoy for salt. Adjust if necessary. The liquid should be salted just right. Very little liquid will evaporate during slow cooking under a lid, thus avoiding too much salt. Transfer the contents of the pan to the slow cooker.
Rustic Chicken Cooking Recipes was last modified: February 11th, 2020 by