Low Carb (Keto) Indian Butter Chicken
Butter chicken is a creamy and rich chicken dish, flavored with Indian spices and cooked with tomatoes and cream. It is rich, vibrant in flavor and seriously delicious. This is one of our favorite family dishes, and although we have been cooking Indian butter chicken for centuries, I wanted to make it a low-carb or keto-compatible version.
- 1 ½ lbs chicken thighs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chunked into one inch pieces
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp fenugreek
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 yellow onion medium
- 1/2 Tbs ginger paste or 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 cup tomatoes pureed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
Garnish (optional) :
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- In a gallon sized zip top bag, add all ingredients for chicken Squeeze the bag to mix it all together and coat the chicken. Refrigerate for 2 hours minimum.
- Heat 1 Tbs olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and add onions to the skillet, cook until softened and starting to caramelize, about 20 minutes.
- Then add the chicken (with the marinade) to the same skillet, and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, ginger, and pureed tomatoes.
- Turn temperature to low, put lid on, let simmer 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked through and sauce is reduced and thicker.
- Stir the heavy whipping cream into the sauce.
- Serve garnished with fresh cilantro, if desired.
Calories: 694kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 59g | Saturated Fat: 25g | Cholesterol: 263mg | Sodium: 768mg | Potassium: 585mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1595IU | Vitamin C: 9.4mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 2mg